Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Blooming Question


This is the last bloom of my back porch plant enjoying its time in the spotlight. I was staring at it early this morning in the sunlight, its scarlet petals juxtaposed against the withered brown of its predecessors, and--as staring at something too long always does--it led to questions I have no answers for.

I decided that these little red blooms are not the plant but the product. I would even go as far as calling them its poetry or sculpture or a burst of glittering fireworks to celebrate some private event. They are art.

They are also fleeting.

If one bloom falls off, the plant is still the same plant. When all the blooms are done for the season, the plant is still itself. So--here comes the question--what exactly needs to be left to still be the same plant? What is the essence of the plant? The visible parts? The leaves and stems? The moist fingers that stretch themselves through the soil looking for nourishment? Or is the soul of the plant the seed? Is that the only part that cannot change, wither or die and still be the same plant?

Are seeds the only bit of physical reality and the rest of our world is simply art?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Owie. That hurt my brain.

Anonymous said...

Good questions with no way to answer except to see what happens. I love the new spirit and color of the place.

Shannon said...

Thanks, Karen!

LOL, Christian. Not quite the affect I was going for. :-)

Shawn said...

I believe the roots are the essence ... the flowers just the prize in the box.

My girls would say the petals are all that matter on flowers. They are good for tossing in the air, drizzling all over Mama, and sometimes taking a little taste.

Shannon said...

I think metaphorically our roots symbolize our connections to family and each other. Your answer doesn't surprise me. :-)

bella said...

Yes, seeds. I think.
What is the part of the plant that can die and be reborn again and again? This is the essence off the flower.

Shannon said...

The seed or just the energy pattern within the seed?

Archie said...

Nice post. Goes beyond the usual, "look, the last bloom of summer." I'm a first time visitor and like your writing. It makes me think.

Shannon said...

Well, I guess it's official then, Archie--thinking is viral. Sorry. Welcome & thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!