Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Wrinkle in Time



You know the lyrics:

"Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true"

My dream of becoming a writer was born in the sticky, evening hours of a Pennsylvania summer. Well, okay I can't remember the exact season, or day or hour, but I have a vivid picture of lying in my bed as a child one summer night, the crickets serenading me through an open window, reading Madeleine L'Engle's A WRINKLE IN TIME and swooning with that high that only comes from discovering the love of your life.

Words. Stories. Make-believe.

Immediately, she inspired me to create my own world, my own story involving some war between black and white winged and horned creatures that I truly can't remember now, I can only remember the complete sense of euphoria at creating their world, their conflicts and their victories. The kind of joy that tastes like lemon and sugar, the kind of joy that blows everything away like a category five hurricane and leaves only your soul standing there pulsating in exact resonance with the universe.

No, I'm not exaggerating.

Tomorrow, I will be making the long trek back to Pennsylvania to take a more serious step toward fulfilling the dream I dare to dream.

My life somehow is tied to this small strip of land on the planet. My birth, my first kiss, my first best friend, my first speeding ticket twenty-some years after moving away (while just driving through)...and now my first writer's conference and face to face meeting with a dream agent.

I think this state is stalking me.

This also marks the first time I said yes to a friend, an invitation and a chance to take my dream seriously all in one shot. I'll be back next week with juicy details. Unless, of course, I do something completely damaging like throw up on the agent's shoes, which would not be completely unlike me. Then, I will just quietly slither back into blogland and you all will have to pretend like I never posted this.

Let the rainbow lead the way.

8 comments:

Shawn said...

No, uh-uh, no vomit allowed. Let's get that straight right now. I cannot handle that smell anymore this week. : )

The great commonwealth welcomes you with open arms -- and a few smelly diapers. See you soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck, kiddo. Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

I've no doubt you're headed somewhere. Enjoy the Pennsylvania dutch treat!

bella said...

Loved this post, the memories and how this place still calls to you.
Enjoy your time and can't wait to hear about it upon your return.

Anonymous said...

There are no coincidences. Break a leg!

Tia Nevitt said...

Damn, that was well-written! Best of luck with that agent meeting.

Shelli said...

Good Luck!!!!!! Ugh. I know how you feel since I've been in your shoes.

I, too, adored A Wrinkle in Time when I was a girl. When I was in (I think) the fourth grade, I told my teacher, and coincidently, she was related to Madeleine. She let me write her a letter, and I told her I wanted to be a writer. She wrote me back! Somewhere I still have that letter!!! (Unless my mom has thrown out boxes in my old closet.) I remember she told me to read EVERYTHING, if I wanted to be a writer.

Shannon said...

I so appreciate you guys & your support. I had an amazing time and I'll fill you in as soon as I feel human again from the trip. :-)

xoxoxo