Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Ray's Magic

I'm rediscovering Ray Bradbury. My daughter is reading Fahrenheit 451 for school. An amazing book, an amazing man. Although I'm glad this book is on their reading list, I wish that they would actually discuss the point of the book itself instead of what they are doing: being tested on things like quotes, what character says what...I think just to make sure they did the reading assignment. There's a strange disconnect in literature that's being taught in schools. The teachers (in my own experience) aren't making the kids think, only memorize. They aren't allowing them to expand on these writers ideas, analyze them, try to figure out what warning they are trying to relay, what message they are trying to give. They aren't teaching them to look ahead and envision the possibilities of their future. It seems the only thing that's important is passing the tests. Scary.

Anyway, I went to Ray's website and started reading about how he became a writer. I came across this little story from his "In His Own Words" section: http://www.raybradbury.com/inhiswords02.html

I wish there were more people in the world like this carnival magician. People taking the time to talk with children, feed them a sense of wonder, hope and magic.

Mr. Electrico did indeed give him the gift of immortality. Through his writing.

Magic, indeed.

No comments: